OutDigest

OutDigest

Tuesday, 2 April 2024

To infinity and beyond.

You know, it's funny. I finally retire from April Fools pranks, and Mother Nature decides to play a great big joke on me. Remember how I decided to skip a trip to the Black Hills to avoid snow, and instead, booked a getaway to Door County here in Wiscon…
Read on blog or Reader
Site logo image Mark My Words Read on blog or Reader

To infinity and beyond.

Mark Petruska

April 2

You know, it's funny. I finally retire from April Fools pranks, and Mother Nature decides to play a great big joke on me. Remember how I decided to skip a trip to the Black Hills to avoid snow, and instead, booked a getaway to Door County here in Wisconsin? Just a few days ago, the forecast was for sunny skies and low 50s. Somehow, we went from that to this:

I texted my mom last night, and she straight up did not believe me. She assumed I was playing an April Fools' prank. Guess I've cried wolf one too many times, huh?

A little bit of snow I could handle. But over a foot? With blowing and drifting? Even if the roads were navigable, trudging through slush and snow with wind chills in the teens did not sound ideal. I pictured walking along beaches, catching sunsets, exploring state parks, maybe grabbing lunch on a pier overlooking a picturesque harbor...not bundling up in winter gear!

So, I made the difficult decision to cancel my trip. I was expecting to eat $115 in cancellation fees, but there was an option through Booking.com (first time I've used them) to contact the hotel and request they waive the fee, and within minutes, they happily obliged. I'm bummed about canceling what would have been a fun little getaway, but at least it won't cost me anything. And I know it was the smart decision. While northeast Wisconsin is in the bullseye of the storm, even here at home they're predicting up to 6" of heavy, wet snow. Hell, even getting out of my driveway might be challenging, let alone driving 206.5 miles. I guess I'll have to come up with a Plan C now, though if the weather keeps acting like a spazz, I may cycle all the way through the alphabet before starting my new job next Monday.

It's not like I haven't already been making the most of my staycation anyway. Yesterday, Tara took the day off, and we traveled to Spring Green to visit The House on the Rock. Man, how to describe this place? How about Disneyland for adults. Built in 1960 atop a tall rock column in Iowa County, Wisconsin, by a reclusive eccentric named Alex Jordan Jr., HOTR features everything from creepy dolls, wooden ships, covered wagons, and elaborate calliopes to a 200' Jonah and the whale, an Infinity Room, and the world's largest carousel, with 269 animals (none of them horses), 20,000 lights, and 182 chandeliers.

The whole thing is truly wild. You can purchase 50-cent tokens to play music and games at many of the exhibits. Even the restrooms are elaborately themed. Tara and I spent over three hours wandering through three cavernous sections, and many times I just stopped in my tracks and asked Tara, "What are we even looking at here?!" Such an eclectic mix of antiques and kitsch from all over the world.

Afterward, we stopped at the Grumpy Troll Brew Pub in Mount Horeb for an early dinner before making the rainy trek home. All in all, it was a great day. Solo adventures are fun, but Team MarTar getaways are even better.

Today, I'm hanging out at home. It's 37º, there's a cold rain falling, and I'm already seeing some snowflakes mix in.

Comment
Like
You can also reply to this email to leave a comment.

Mark My Words © 2024. Manage your email settings or unsubscribe.

WordPress.com and Jetpack Logos

Get the Jetpack app

Subscribe, bookmark, and get real-time notifications - all from one app!

Download Jetpack on Google Play Download Jetpack from the App Store
WordPress.com Logo and Wordmark title=

Automattic, Inc. - 60 29th St. #343, San Francisco, CA 94110  

at April 02, 2024
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Hello June!

The End, World Ocean Day, Video Review, and Summer Reading ...

  • [New post] Super cub 本田小狼機車登山趣- 南橫關山嶺山單攻
    cbom ...
  • 柔姊的小學畢業典禮
    這個月中,柔姊終於要從小學畢業囉! 畢業典禮舉辦在週六,全家都去參加,見證柔姊畢業的時刻! 想到六年前,第一次到學校的時候,還很緊張...
  • [New post] Northern Middle School student named winner of Maryland Investwrite Essay Competition
    David...

Search This Blog

  • Home

About Me

OutDigest
View my complete profile

Report Abuse

Blog Archive

  • June 2026 (1)
  • May 2026 (1)
  • April 2026 (1)
  • March 2026 (1)
  • February 2026 (2)
  • January 2026 (1)
  • December 2025 (1)
  • November 2025 (6)
  • October 2025 (1)
  • September 2025 (1)
  • August 2025 (1)
  • July 2025 (1)
  • June 2025 (1)
  • May 2025 (1)
  • April 2025 (1)
  • March 2025 (2)
  • February 2025 (2)
  • January 2025 (15)
  • December 2024 (1)
  • November 2024 (2)
  • October 2024 (1)
  • September 2024 (1)
  • August 2024 (2701)
  • July 2024 (3219)
  • June 2024 (3109)
  • May 2024 (3211)
  • April 2024 (3120)
  • March 2024 (3223)
  • February 2024 (3033)
  • January 2024 (3219)
  • December 2023 (3236)
  • November 2023 (3098)
  • October 2023 (3137)
  • September 2023 (2457)
  • August 2023 (2148)
  • July 2023 (1919)
  • June 2023 (2151)
  • May 2023 (2049)
  • April 2023 (1966)
  • March 2023 (2038)
  • February 2023 (1737)
  • January 2023 (1768)
  • December 2022 (1761)
  • November 2022 (1933)
  • October 2022 (1434)
  • September 2022 (1258)
  • August 2022 (1329)
  • July 2022 (1414)
  • June 2022 (1351)
  • May 2022 (1349)
  • April 2022 (1421)
  • March 2022 (1209)
  • February 2022 (880)
  • January 2022 (1022)
  • December 2021 (1348)
  • November 2021 (3132)
  • October 2021 (3249)
  • September 2021 (611)
Powered by Blogger.