Daily writing prompt
What makes a teacher great?
One would assume that after spending many years in the classroom teaching, this would be an easy prompt to crank a well-thought-out and informative post. Such a wonderful post that any new teacher entering the profession should model their career after.
The answer is both yes and no.
Easy in that I know there are important attributes, methodologies and all that great hoopla that I employed in my years. All of which is right in easy memory access and could be condensed into a well-written treatise in a mere couple of hours
But, who has time for that on a long weekend?
So here are a few things I believe make a great teacher.
- be open to learning - even though you graduated from university you don't know it all
- the students will teach you things - mostly about yourself - be prepared
- lead them - don't drag them along
- be firm - but be fair
- remember - you may be the only steady, reliable and perhaps safe adult in a student's life - just throwing it out there
- a broad and simple approach - I do it; we do it together; you do it by yourself
There is so much more that I could add to the mix of what makes a great teacher. Great teachers always leave or have students that want to learn. It might not end up being every student in your classrooms, but over the years and usually, at some school reunion twenty years down the road, students will always go on, "Do you remember Mr. or Mrs. ......... they were such a great teacher and influence in my life......"
When you hear that - you know you made a difference - a great teacher.
-- as always with love--
--- get outdoors; find inspiration; discover yourself ---
No comments:
Post a Comment