Today marked a long-awaited (on my part) step forward as I actually ran a proper trail, i.e. a trail with no roads that would typically be a hike. I enjoyed it immensely, it was nowhere near as difficult as I imagined it might be, and l learned that I ought to wear my Salomon trail shoes rather than bog standard trail shoes.
It was only four miles through to Forest of Bowland but it was definitely a step up in terms of difficulty and endurance. More climbing, tougher inclines and more challenging terrain all made it a rewarding experience I am keen to repeat. It began with running around the two Ogden reservoirs followed by ascending Pendle Hill, this time from the side that is a more gentle climb rather than the way I normally hike. It was also far more beautiful and scenic. Obviously I was not fast, however I managed to average slightly above five miles per hour which I think is pretty good on hard terrain.
This was also significant because I appear to have calibrated my exercise and diet so well that I am starting to look for new, much tougher tests. I am not even slightly aching after this run.
Below are some cool photos.
The start of the trail
The gorge
A rather naff photo at the Pendle Hill trig point
I am at the point now where the only way I can push my heart rate and breathing into the 'I feel like I am going to burst' range is to either spring as though a mad axe murderer is chasing me, or to do runs like this with major climbs. This is obviously a good thing as I am recovering more quickly and my heart and breathing rate drops fast when the exertion is lower. Each of these are signs of increasing and improving fitness.
A while ago I posted about pushing myself into ultra distance territory. I feel now as though my family is old enough that I can spare the time, and also that I am starting to condition myself to be able to hit such highs.
No comments:
Post a Comment