I am delighted to share my review today for one of my favourite authors. A Secret Gift by Amanda James is a fabulous contemporary fiction story set in Cornwall.

My thanks to the Publisher One More Chapter for accepting my request to review this book from NetGalley, for an honest and unbiased review.

Escape to Cornwall for an enchanting, heartwarming new novel about friendship, hope and second chances…

Three years ago, Joy Pentire lost her firefighter husband and she still hasn't returned to the woman she once was. But then she meets Hope, one of the residents at the nursing home where she's a carer.

Hope has a secret gift that she wants to pass on.
And Joy's life is forever changed.

Surrounded by the community in her Cornish hometown, Joy's unexpected inheritance soon leads to new opportunities, new friends, new love, and the part of herself she'd thought forever lost … her joy.

A heart-warming, joyful story of the power of personal connection. 

PURCHASE LINK - HERE

MY REVIEW

Firstly, now that I have finished reading this book I can appreciate how the gorgeous cover fits in with the story. I have been a fan of this authors stories for quite a while now and have read most of her books. She is an author who crosses genres and does it very well indeed.

This story is about Joy, a widow who is getting by. Not ready to move on after the death of her husband. She works at a local care home. while it is a job it is not what she originally hoped to do. Talking of hope, Hope is the name of one of the residents and if I am honest one of Joy's favourites. Hope doesn't have long left, she knows it as does Joy, so Hope bequeaths on Joy a secret and a jar of pebbles! Sounds a bit random I know, but the story that follows is one that I found captivating. So captivating that I read this book from start to finish in one sitting!

This is such a gorgeous read, a story of a young woman trying to deal with life. Working, helping others and not quite fulfilling her life, she isn't miserable, but she isn't happy. Melancholic I think would sum her up.

The secret, well if I told you what that was it wouldn't be a secret, but believe me when I say it is something quite special. It is a secret that not only helps others but will in time help Joy herself. And yes, the pebbles are part of it.

This is another wonderful and captivating story. It has some wonderful sentiment and emotions to it. I found the main character of Joy, to be a really lovely one. Friendly, warm and one of life's plodders. She plods along doing her best. The author does inject a touch of romance, but for me, the story was about friendship and helping others. About being a friend, a shoulder and supportive when needed, also about trying to move forward after heartache, about trusting people and your instincts.

This really was a lovely story and one I adored and would definitely recommend.

Many thanks for reading my post, a like or share would be amazing 🙂 xx