Today is a driving day, and as I pass a sign for Lobster Cove Lighthouse, SS Ethie, and Steve's Trail, I turn my head trying to catch a glimpse of anything that is visible through the truck window at 80 km/hour. I want to do all the hikes but after yesterday's Western Brook Pond and Gorge, I feel a rest day is in order. I make a deal with myself: if I there is time on the way back I will do these spots, but today I am excited to be headed to one of Newfoundland's most photographed places- Arches Provincial Park.

Just 70 km north of Rocky Harbor, I turn left down a short road through a tuckamore forest, emerging on the coastline. I can barely take my eyes away from the view. It is right there. I won't have to work very hard for this adventure. I grab my camera, loop it around my neck, and follow my line of sight to the stairway leading to the rocky shore where the waves are sending out their best slurping sound.

There is a nice breeze tousling my hair and I stop and tie it up in a pony tail before continuing. Apparently, I do have to work a bit for this adventure. The closer I get, the more roly-poly the rocks become. I am careful, picking my way forward till I am standing in front of these enormous rock formations. The surf shows up all powerful and pushy entering the arches, but after emptying a froth on the lower boulders it weakens and is sucked back out. All the visitors want to be down in the heart of the arches and many hover at the waterline. I figure my best chance at getting someone to take my picture is to offer to take their picture. My ploy is a success. I happily snap several group shots until the favor is reciprocated and I get my chance- standing with a two-fingers up victory hands, my moment is over and I back away to give the next person a clean photo shot.

On beach in front of the rock formations of Arches Provincial Park, NFLD

I wander a bit further up to the ends of the arches but I believe I have gotten the best view, and not wanting to push my luck on the wobbly rocks, I make my way back to the parking lot. I have a little snack at one of the picnic tables, then use the clean outhouse. This was a nice forty minute stop and I am back on the Viking Trail headed to Port Aux Choix.

Please join me again on my trip around Newfoundland and Labrador. Happy Travels from Maritimemac

Tip

If you enjoyed this content and found it helpful, you can tip me to show your appreciation.

CA$1.00

Click here to purchase.


This post is ad-supported