OutDigest

OutDigest

Tuesday, 2 April 2024

Run Amok: Hoka Speedgoat 5 GTX Review

As the elder statesman in the maximalist shoe market, the Hoka Speedgoat 5 GTX offers a ton of stack height, combined with the legendary performance of a waterproof/breathable Gore-Tex liner. Arriving just in time for winter trail running, I've appreciat…
Read on blog or Reader
Site logo image FeedTheHabit.com Read on blog or Reader

Run Amok: Hoka Speedgoat 5 GTX Review

Jason Mitchell

April 2

As the elder statesman in the maximalist shoe market, the Hoka Speedgoat 5 GTX offers a ton of stack height, combined with the legendary performance of a waterproof/breathable Gore-Tex liner. Arriving just in time for winter trail running, I've appreciated the weather protection, but have found some areas of improvement.

Hoka Speedgoat 5 GTX Features:

  • Lay-flat gusseted tongue construction
  • 44% recycled polyester Double-layer jacquard engineered outer mesh
  • GORE-TEX waterproof membrane bootie construction
  • Rubber toe cap
  • Compression molded EVA midsole
  • Vibram® Megagrip with Traction Lug design (5mm depth)
  • Bolstered heel collar construction
  • Late stage MetaRocker™ with 4mm drop
  • Molded EVA sockliner
  • Stack: 33mm heel and 29mm forefoot
  • Weight: 12.7 oz each (size 11.5, actual)
  • MSRP: $170

Hoka Speedgoat 5 GTX Trail Running Shoe Review
Protection from the elements in classic Hoka form.

Cold and wet-weather champs

Back when Hoka began, I'll never forget what I called "marshmallow shoes." Out on the trails you'd see trail runners squishing their way down the singletrack as I looked, side-eyed when they passed. As I have aged, and Hoka has continued refining their craft, we have now arrived at a fortuitous intersection of life experience and comfort. This common nexus event is kind of like a "Hokavana" of sorts. I'm there and proudly rock Hoka's whenever I get the chance.

Hoka Speedgoat 5 GTX Review - Marshmallow Shoes
Not quite marshmallow shoes, but good nonetheless.

Now in its 5th-generation, the Hoka Speedgoat 5 GTX arrived just in time for winter and spring trail running. Wet, cold or snow packed trails were the test conditions over the course of 5 months of everything Mother Nature could throw their way. Looking back, it was 4 years ago that I tested the Hoka Speedgoat 4 GTX and this would be a great opportunity to highlight the updates. I loved the previous model and still regularly use them for sketchy weather conditions.

If you're curious, the visual, last and fit differences are minimal. They look almost the same, but have a significant difference in midsole density. Unfortunately, the Speedgoat 5 doesn't get more comfortable, they actually feel racier and less cushy. I'll dig in a little more later in the review, but it's a little surprising to me that Hoka chose to firm up the Speedgoat 5.

Hoka Speedgoat 5 GTX - Cold Morning
A cold morning was made more comfortable.

If you're looking for the GTX model, you know how awesome it can be. While the nearby trails are usually too goopy to run in the rain, the GTX wraparound liner also comes in handy for cold conditions where a brisk wind can turn my toes into frozen sausages. Maintaining warmth and protecting against moisture are both key elements of a Gore-Tex trail running shoe and the Speedgoat 5 delivers on both fronts.

Hoka Speedgoat 5 GTX Review - Stream Testing
Stream testing. All good.

Withstands drips, drops and streams

A dip in a creek and trail running in 20-degree temperatures are both kept in check by Gore's legendary waterproof/breathable membrane. The gusseted tongue adds waterproof capability, but these are still shoes, so you can't submerge them above the second eyelets without allowing water to flow in. Active rain or morning dew are great examples of conditions where the GTX liner thrives -- all without allowing your socks to get saturated. And, Gore-Tex has definitely come a long way on the breathable front, but I wouldn't recommend running in these above 65 degrees if your feet run hot (like mine).

The lacing pattern is standard and the tongue width allows for ample fit adjustments. I did find them to be very finicky on tightness -- with very little room for error before discomfort arose. On one hand, I appreciated the locked-in feel they provide, but on the other hand it was problematic to find the Goldilocks tightness on every run. Oftentimes, I ran them a touch loose just to be in the clear.

Hoka Speedgoat 5 GTX - Heel Tab
The heel tab makes for easy entry -- for feet and scree.

Instead of heel loops, Hoka seems to be adopting a curved heel tab that allows you to easily slip your feet inside. For that purpose, I love the heel funnel. But, out on the trails, they act like a scree funnel -- allowing all sorts of debris to easily penetrate the cuffs of the Speedgoat 5 GTX. The combination of the tacky outsoles and the funnel heel allow more debris to enter than any shoe I've ever tested.

Hoka Speedgoat 5 GTX Review - Soggy Morning
A soggy morning trail run.

Traction aplenty, with a firm midsole

Vibram Megagrip outsoles are the current gold standard and the 5mm lugs deliver capable traction on all types of trails and conditions. Dry trails are a breeze. Wet trails are gripped like Velcro. And, snow packed trails are conquered with panache. That same traction is superb for toe-off and on descents. Fore/aft traction is great at any speed and so is lateral traction when the trails tilt sideways.

The tread pattern does a good job of jettisoning mud, but it does tend to stick around longer than I would hope. While I wouldn't seek out pavement with these shoes, the treads feel surprisingly smooth on the road. And, I do appreciate the rockered outsole that facilitates a smooth stride. The heel-to-toe roll and toe-off are smooth and natural.

As mentioned earlier, the midsole density means the Speedgoat 5 is going to run more racy than the Speedgoat 4. For my purposes, I feel it's a step backwards, but some may appreciate the go-cart ride. Wearing the Speedgoat 4 and 5 side-by-side, the 4's offer more comfort and a touch more stability because my feet settle into the midsoles just a bit more.

Fit: I'm wearing size 11.5's in the Hoka Speedgoat 5, which is my regular size in the brand. 

Buy Now: Visit REI.com

Comment

FeedTheHabit.com © 2024. Manage your email settings or unsubscribe.

WordPress.com and Jetpack Logos

Get the Jetpack app

Subscribe, bookmark, and get real-time notifications - all from one app!

Download Jetpack on Google Play Download Jetpack from the App Store
WordPress.com Logo and Wordmark title=

Automattic, Inc. - 60 29th St. #343, San Francisco, CA 94110  

at April 02, 2024
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Hello June!

The End, World Ocean Day, Video Review, and Summer Reading ...

  • [New post] Super cub 本田小狼機車登山趣- 南橫關山嶺山單攻
    cbom ...
  • 柔姊的小學畢業典禮
    這個月中,柔姊終於要從小學畢業囉! 畢業典禮舉辦在週六,全家都去參加,見證柔姊畢業的時刻! 想到六年前,第一次到學校的時候,還很緊張...
  • [New post] Northern Middle School student named winner of Maryland Investwrite Essay Competition
    David...

Search This Blog

  • Home

About Me

OutDigest
View my complete profile

Report Abuse

Blog Archive

  • June 2026 (1)
  • May 2026 (1)
  • April 2026 (1)
  • March 2026 (1)
  • February 2026 (2)
  • January 2026 (1)
  • December 2025 (1)
  • November 2025 (6)
  • October 2025 (1)
  • September 2025 (1)
  • August 2025 (1)
  • July 2025 (1)
  • June 2025 (1)
  • May 2025 (1)
  • April 2025 (1)
  • March 2025 (2)
  • February 2025 (2)
  • January 2025 (15)
  • December 2024 (1)
  • November 2024 (2)
  • October 2024 (1)
  • September 2024 (1)
  • August 2024 (2701)
  • July 2024 (3219)
  • June 2024 (3109)
  • May 2024 (3211)
  • April 2024 (3120)
  • March 2024 (3223)
  • February 2024 (3033)
  • January 2024 (3219)
  • December 2023 (3236)
  • November 2023 (3098)
  • October 2023 (3137)
  • September 2023 (2457)
  • August 2023 (2148)
  • July 2023 (1919)
  • June 2023 (2151)
  • May 2023 (2049)
  • April 2023 (1966)
  • March 2023 (2038)
  • February 2023 (1737)
  • January 2023 (1768)
  • December 2022 (1761)
  • November 2022 (1933)
  • October 2022 (1434)
  • September 2022 (1258)
  • August 2022 (1329)
  • July 2022 (1414)
  • June 2022 (1351)
  • May 2022 (1349)
  • April 2022 (1421)
  • March 2022 (1209)
  • February 2022 (880)
  • January 2022 (1022)
  • December 2021 (1348)
  • November 2021 (3132)
  • October 2021 (3249)
  • September 2021 (611)
Powered by Blogger.