April is Poetry Month! 

Visit Citizen Teacher each day in April to find an original poem–along with photos, book suggestions, and links to other poetry-related content.


Visitation

"This is STUPID!" Derek moans.

"How're we gonna write a poem by tomorrow?!?

And WHAT'S A ROMANTIC SENSIBILITY?!?" 

Optimism, love for Nature,

celebrating the individual

and imagination…

"Oh yeah, I know, I know

Be quiet now, I'm tryin' to write!" 

Heads bend to paper

Pens dance, pause in air,

tap on chins.

"How do you spell anxious?"

A–N–X–I–O–U–S.

"What's a catalog?"

A list.

The muse appears in sunlit silence.

With a delicate hand, she reaches into universal imagination,

reveals 

a grain of truth, salty and biting,

an image, sweet, bitter, spicy,

a hope, a dream,

 a desire fragile as birdsong at daybreak,

playful as Otter in Springtime…

"ms. eddy, will you come look at this?

I think I just wrote a poem!" 

15 December 1998



Recommended Reading

A Child of Books (read-aloud) by Oliver Jeffers and Sam Winston (public library)


lisa eddy (she/her) is a writer, researcher, youth advocate, environmental educator, and musician. Email: lisagay.eddy1@gmail.com