This passage perfectly sums up my perspective. It's taken me a long time to live my life with it, but it's the only way to live. Here is an example of this passage in motion.

My mom was hospitalized recently, and my family and me took it hard, because she was so sick. She's been declining steadily for a few years, and this episode scared us all.

After a few days of her being in and finally stabilized, one of my sisters and me visited her. My goal was to make her laugh.

When I got there, I met my sister and we walked to her room. When we walked in, my mom was sitting in the corner near the window in one of those blue, plastic hospital-issued recliners; a white blanket on her lap.

Her face lit when we walked in, but she looked tired and worried. The strain from the illness evident on her face.

We sat on the edge of her bed, our backs to her roommate and curtain that divided us. I looked at her and we began to chat about her stay, and how she was feeling. Her voice sounded weak and tired.

Then, I began to tell her about my ski day with my great nephew, her great-grandson; my sister's grandson. I had such a lovely day with him. She had seen pictures from that day, but I was able to fill her in on details. His appreciation when we first got there, to his first black diamond run, to his triumph in the mini terrain park at the end and he d the day. I told her about all his emotions and our high-fives. She was so happy to share those details with me.

Then my sister and I began to joke a bit, and I told them both about some misadventures I'd had skiing this year - namely both of my falls happened while I was practically standing still. We all belly laughed when I told them about looking over my shoulder to see Jeff and I literally sat down, which is not a graceful feat when locked into skis and bindings.

My mom laughed more and remarked how mishap has always been my companion. We reminisced and joked for more than an hour.

When it was time to leave, the room felt brighter and lighter. My mom's mood and health greatly improved; she was released three days later.

That visit with my mom perfectly illustrates this passage. Our visit healed, as best it could, her mind, body, and soul. I don't know how much longer I have with my mom, but I do know she needs play, laughter, and joy in her life to see her peacefully and comfortably to her end. As painful as it is for me, I will be there to make sure she has it.