The drone coming in for a landing. She would catch it as it landed.

Rooftop Drones for Autonomous Pigeon Harassment

Have invasive flying rats met their match?


Ministry of Truth: China literally changed the ending of Fight Club so the authorities win

The screen fades to black and the words "The police rapidly figured out the whole plan and arrested all criminals, successfully preventing the bomb from exploding."


Blue Falcons

"I want each of you to ask yourself right now: am I the Blue Falcon Sgt. Johnstone is talking about? Do I have it in me to fuck over my buddy so that I can have an easier time? Because I'll tell you right here, right now: it will come out in the wash. It always comes out in the wash. You might get away with it for a day, or a week, but it is our job to find you; and we are very good at our jobs."


Rest Area
The trail runs through some thick woods between the train line and the creek south of Forest Lane. There is a nice rest area built there. This homeless guy was sitting in the rest area, reading and writing in his notebook. We talked about the weather and I helped him find a lost sock.

People Farming

There's money in it, administering programs which succor the homeless … which, if the homeless were ever successfully homed … would mean an end to that mission and money stream. So the civic powers that be have a vested interest in keeping those programs going, and even expanding them to minister to ever-increasing numbers of homeless. Which makes the powers-that-be feel all noble, responsive, responsible and unselfish-like … but which one commenter on the linked thread pointed out … for all intents and purposes they are farming people for a money crop.


5 questions with ESPN's Jay Bilas on Kansas vs. Kentucky, 'GameDay' at Allen Fieldhouse and more

For Christmas, my son bought me (and both my sons) tickets to the Kansas-West Virginia game at Allen Fieldhouse. An amazing gift. The three of us drove up to Lawrence, stayed in an Air B&B and walked around a very cold and snowy town. The game was a blast.

It reminded me of a time, almost fifty years ago, when I walked into Allen Fieldhouse as a barely 17 year old freshman for my first KU basketball game. It was one of the most amazing times of my life.


WSJ: Get ready for a new wage-price spiral as retail sales fall

I'm old, old enough to remember the stagflation of the Carter years. It felt just like this. It isn't a good thing - especially when you consider the pain (20% interest rates) that are necessary to get out of it.


The hidden costs of cost-benefit analysis