In my post yesterday, I shared that I used a Google Form to keep better track of my reading. In the previous year, I wrote the information in a spreadsheet but found that it took too long to record all the information, especially all the picture books. 

Previously I had adapted the Book Riot's, extensive reading tracker. There are so many great ideas here, and it provided me with many things to think about for my Google Form. Their spreadsheet is incredibly comprehensive and had way more than what I needed, but it required you to manually add certain things, and when I was trying to record picture books, it became too much. I knew Kathie had used a Google form and decided I would adapt my sheet to a Google form.

What I Learned

Firstly, I needed to pare down what I tracked; I did not want to scroll back and forth to find the columns I wanted to see. I wanted my data to be within the screen view. I kept some things and deleted the items I did not seem to look at this past year. 

One thing I found handy was having the current month at the top. I could simply click and go. When the month was over, I moved it to the bottom. This year I am trying a drop-down box and will select the month. 

I am using more drop-box questions this year. This way, I can quickly select and minimize what I have to type. Like Kathie, I am looking to be more reflective and consistent in my reviews. If it is less than 2.5 stars, I will not include it in my stats because I would not be recommending the book. 

Finally, I will have the page and audiobook length together to see trends about the page or hour lengths of books I read. 

If you would like to see my Google form and make a copy to edit for yourself, simply click Hnatiuk Tracking 2022.

Databases

For quite a while now, I have wanted to create a database. I have been thinking (more like overthinking) and decided to use subject headings. I plan to have two databases; one for fiction and nonfiction. The only two differences between the two databases are the different subject headings and the addition of the five different kinds of nonfiction created by Melissa Stewart. I want to make a more consistent effort to reflect and categorize when reading nonfiction and also be able to search using subject headings. 

Both will still ask me to place the format, so building or suggesting books for curricular themes and/or units, I can look across the various types of books to suit different readers.

For fiction, I looked at various places regarding subject headings and relied a lot on the subject headings Edelweiss + uses since that is where I tend to get the majority of my eARCS. Social Issues cover a lot of different subtopics, so I created a separate box to specify the subtopics. 

Finally, I will have the length and the personal star rating. By filling out the additional forms, the hope is to locate books on a particular subject and format more efficiently. Remembering to use the Ctrl F more frequently to search also helps.

So that is what I am hoping will work for me next year, and I will adapt the forms as needed. 

If you would like to see my Google form for the databases and make a copy to edit for yourself, click Fiction Database and Nonfiction Database.

In all three forms, I have a section titled Representation. I am struggling with the word disability, wanting to be positively inclusive but not thrilled with that word choice. I would love and appreciate your assistance to replace this word. Naturally, I welcome any thoughts and comments. Now it's time to read!

Laurie


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more