Happy (belated) New Year everyone!

Last year was a traumatic year, not just because of the pandemic, but because I spent the majority of the year nursing one injury or another (shin splints, sprained ankle and peroneal tendonitis) which dramatically impacted my self-esteem, my ability to cope with external stress and my goals for the year. However, after investing time and energy into rehabilitation and strengthening, I finally managed to run a full 5K on 30 December, ending the year on a high note!

While I am not entirely convinced I will be in a position to run the Cambridge Half Marathon in March, like you, I have some intentions for the year that I would like to commit to as I enter my third year of running (it feels mad to say that! When did I graduate from couch potato to fully fledged runner?!)

Rather than sweeping goals, distances or times, it is about making small, sustainable changes that are achievable:

  • Run three times per week including one group run per week,
  • Improve mobility and flexibility through regular stretching, particularly for my hamstrings and hip flexors,
  • Strength train twice a week to build a strong foundation,
  • Volunteer 25 times at Riverside Junior parkrun to help others enjoy running,
  • Stop comparing my running achievements with others.

Funnily enough, I think the hardest goal will be to stop comparing myself with others and embracing my own achievements. I don't know about you but I really struggle with not comparing my times, distances and ability with people who have achieved more. I want to make peace with my own ability and achievements instead of losing that joy by making comparisons. This year will definitely be the year I look internally, instead of externally.

Tell me, what are your intentions for the year? Do you have any big runs or races in 2022?

First 5K since 27 October 2021

This free site is ad-supported. Learn more