It was a dark and stormy night. The weather approaching Halloween had turned cold, dark and rainy. That means one thing and one thing only at Chez Badass Kitchen...it's time for comfort foods! And I had developed a hankering for a good ol' fashioned beef stew in the slow cooker. That I don't really use a recipe for, as I generally throw things in the pot and hope for the best. I didn't want to do that this time, so I found this recipe on Ye Olde Interwebs and gave it a whirl with some great veggies that I had picked up at a farmers' market.

Look at these cool heritage carrots.
They look even cooler, peeled and chopped.
These are German Butter Potatoes.
They look kinda Yukon Gold-ish to me, when sliced open.

The recipe called for some unusual spices for a beef stew, in my opinion. Including smoked paprika, mustard and my nemesis a bay leaf. I tried to remember what I hated so much about bay leaves but I've been avoiding them for so long that I kinda forget. I got to thinking this after my last WOYP post, where I dissed this ingredient. I thought it was time to revisit my nemesis the bay leaf.

ATTENTION: A bay leaf has entered the slow cooker. I repeat: A BAY LEAF HAS ENTERED THE SLOW COOKER.
Seashell Jesus says "Gurl, you sure about this?" Bettie Page the Kitchen Aid says "No Comment". Ditto for Alexa (far left). All are crowded around to witness this strange event.

Fast forward to 8 hours later (on low). The stew turned out quite nice, actually. Although I am not sure about the smoked paprika. I think next time I will just add regular paprika. Turns out smoky beef stew is not my jam. And as for my nemesis the bay leaf? I couldn't pick out what it had contributed to the stew's flavour so I guess bay leaves are back on the menu (and in the spice cabinet). Who knew?!?!

"I'm ready for my closeup, Ms. Badass."

As always: please feel free to let my co-host Donna or myself know what's on your plate at your house, in the Comments of either Donna's or my post (or both, if you are so inclined!). Please check out Donna's post, here. It's a winner!

Remember: if you decide to blog or Facebook or Instagram about it, to use the tags #whatsonyourplateblogchallenge or #woypbc so we can find you out on ye olde interwebbs!

Rock on,

The WB